Photos of Preston Church, Russian River covered Bridge, commmunity musicians, Emily and Hartwell Preston.
Photo facing east. Preston commercial district, circa 1910. Livery stable, general store and railroad depot in foreground.
Mowbray house in background at center; church in distance behind depot.
County road parallels railroad tracks and turns east toward
Preston residential district. The Preston commercial district has been displaced by CA Highway 101.
Madam Preston encouraged members of the community to cultivate their musical abilities, though dancing was strictly forbidden.
The town of Preston had a talented mixed-sex orchestra and a women's orchestra.
Children and adults took weekly music lessons
from Professor Smith, a teacher who came up from Healdsburg.
The musicians played at church services and held concerts in the Preston
Photo by Mary Mowbray, circa 1895.
Inside the Preston, Free Pilgrims Covenant church, 1999.
1999 Aerial photo by Holly Hoods, view northeast, overlooking the Russian River and the Preston colonist residences. Virtually all the land that can be seen on the East side of the River was
owned by Emily Preston one hundred years ago.
The covered bridge spanned the Russian River at Preston from 1872-1931. Preston's commercial district was located west of the river, next to the Northwestern Pacific railroad tracks.
The Preston residences, school and church were located across the bridge on the east side of the river. Photo by Mary Mobray, circa 1895.
Preston Church circa 1886.
#7 Hartwell Preston #8 Emily Preston
About Preston and its ongoing projects
The Institute For Traditional Studies Homepage